Writing a synthesis paper is one of the most challenging tasks you will need to undertake in your educational institution. The primary goal of this assignment is to demonstrate your ability to deal with different types of information, carry out academic research, figure out significant concepts, as well as back up your arguments with good evidence. A well-written synthesis paper will present the findings obtained through the in-depth investigation of the topic, evaluate them, as well as combine them with a good thesis statement. If you experience any difficulties with understanding how to write a synthesis essay, then our detailed guide will be of great help to you. Our legit writing company will provide you with a detailed outline of a synthesis essay, as well as additional details helping you understand how such a paper should be written.
What Is a Synthesis Essay?
A synthesis essay is one of the frequently assigned academic tasks in the student’s academic curriculum. According to a common definition, a synthesis essay is a written discussion analyzing various ideas. When working on such a paper, the student is supposed to work with peer-reviewed academic publications including articles, speeches, interviews, etc. Basically, he or she needs to pick up two ideas and analyze them focusing on their similar features. For instance, you may write your paper about the negative effects of social media on the life of adolescents and the use of smartphones in everyday life. After synthesizing the information, you may write the following thesis:
The growth of social media increases the use of smartphones in the everyday life of adolescents.
Common Synthesis Essay Types
- Explanatory synthesis essay. This type allows the target audience to get a better understanding of the topic. Instead of arguing on something, the writer should present a particular topic from different perspectives. In the main body of such an essay, one should analyze the topic using the most accurate and credible research findings;
- Argument synthesis essay. The primary purpose of such a paper is to argue a specific position justifying it with evidence. Unlike the explanatory synthesis essay, which aims to analyze the topic, an argumentative essay requires taking a certain position backing it up with solid evidence.
How to Write a Synthesis Essay Outline?
If you want to succeed with synthesis essay writing, then you should know how to write a synthesis essay outline. It is the very first thing you have to do before you start working on your paper. Although many students think that creating an outline is just a waste of time, we would like to assure you that it is not true. A well-written outline is a particularly important instrument for creating a winning paper. It helps organize the ideas in the logical order and not to focus on meaningful points. In other words, an outline is a backbone for an essay enabling you to keep on the right track through the entire writing process. Writing your paper spontaneously, without an outline, you will make it disorganized and shallow.
Yes, writing an outline may take some time, but we assure you that the final result will be worth all your effort. In addition, you may make this process easier following just a couple of helpful tips mentioned below:
- Introduction. An introduction usually takes one-two paragraphs that should engage the reader from the first lines. A skilled writer will always include a hook that would make the reader follow the rest of the paper. Besides, an introduction contains a thesis statement, which is a central idea of the paper;
- Main body. An introduction is always followed by the main body, which is divided into several meaningful paragraphs according to the number of arguments suggested. The main body presents the actual analysis of your topic. When working on your main body paragraphs, you need to begin them with clear topic sentences related to your thesis statement. Also, the main body of your synthesis paper is the part when you need to include in-text citations referenced properly in accordance with the formatting style indicated in your prompt. Remember that if you use the ideas of other authors without mentioning their names, it will be considered as plagiarism;
- Conclusion. A conclusion is, perhaps, the most meaningful part of your paper. Being only one paragraph in length, it should summarize all the important points discussed in the paper.
Synthesis Essay Structure
Before you start working on your synthesis paper, you should carry out in-depth research and analyze the data collected. To assess your paper with a good grade, your tutor wants to see your ability to think logically and analytically. Even if you express brilliant ideas in your paper, the inappropriate structure will be a great obstacle on your way to success. Most probably, you will need to follow the classic 5-paragraph structure, which includes a one-paragraph introduction, a three-paragraph main body, and a one-paragraph conclusion.
If you want to make your synthesis paper sound clear and coherent, you should not forget about smooth transitions when moving from one paragraph to another. All in all, you should understand that proper structure is an integral part of your grading rubric, thus you need to do your best to organize your ideas in an appropriate way.
How to Write an Impeccable Synthesis Essay Introduction?
The most important and challenging stage in writing a synthesis paper is writing an introduction. To do it well, you need to ask yourself “What would engage me if I read this paper?” Putting yourself in the shoes of your reader, you will be able to figure out how to make your essay interesting for them. To make your introduction appealing, you need to include a hook. When it comes to academic writing, a hook is a way to engage the reader. It can have any form including a quote, a joke, intriguing statistics, etc.
How to Write a Synthesis Essay Conclusion?
If you want to receive a good grade for your paper, you should also know how to write a conclusion for a synthesis essay. A conclusion is a one more stumbling block for a student, who is going to succeed with writing a synthesis essay. You should understand that your concluding paragraph cannot appear from anywhere because it is a final result of your work. As such, it does not need to include new facts or ideas but should summarize the main aspects analyzed throughout the paper. You also need to finalize your paper with a strong statement that will enable you to make a good impression on your audience.
How to Write a Synthesis Essay? Efficient Tips
If you look through the well-written synthesis paper examples, you will see that most of them answer the “So what?” question. To write it well, you need to understand your topic and be able to build good arguments. Besides, you need to follow the tips suggested below:
- Work with the interesting topic as it will enable you to enjoy the writing process;
- Use appropriate vocabulary. Avoid jargon and abbreviations;
- Pay attention to the correct mechanics of your paper. Although your text will be evaluated for the strength of the ideas, coherency, and relevance, numerous grammatical mistakes will showcase your carelessness, which won’t allow you to get a good grade for your paper.
Synthesis Essay Format
The format of your paper depends on the style your professor asked you to follow. If you need to write your essay in the APA formatting style, you will need to write a title page and an abstract. In fact, APA and MLA are the most common citation styles used in colleges and universities. Whereas an APA is used for scientific disciplines, MLA is widely used in humanities.
Check our Synthesis Essay Example
Need Help with Your Synthesis Paper?
If you find it difficult to understand how to write a synthesis essay, you should just order professional writing assistance at our cheap essay writing service. Our platform is a trustworthy provider of custom writing services to students worldwide. No matter what kind of writing assistance you may need, our team of seasoned and competent writers will handle your request. Our writers have advanced expertise in diverse academic disciplines and can create amazing masterpieces on various topics. So, click the “Order” button and free yourself from stress and anxiety!
Do you need help with your assignment?
We write original academic papers on all subject and topic.