Public leadership is diverse, challenging and rewarding depending on the leader’s management skills. A leader must be a visionary, a strategist, a team player and a transformer to help an organization reach new heights. Leadership includes resourcefulness and managing people and their skills towards attainment of set objectives.
Personal Leadership Portrait
- A leader working in the public service sector has a sole role of creating a better working environment. He must be transformational and democratic. A transformational leader is a team player and a greater communicator. Transformational leaders adopt a public-oriented philosophy dedicated to developing the community (Jones-Burbridge, 2012). A transformative leader believes that service should be community-oriented to harness the power of the team in order to achieve great results. Achievements in the public service depend on the ability of the leader to build a culture of outstanding customer service. A transformational leader must, for this reason, be a team player and posses outstanding communication skills.
- Communication and inspiration define the success rate of a leader. These qualities are definitely present in my skill set. Communication is a critical trait in leadership, since a leader must build structures that facilitate communication across diverse departments. Servant leadership identifies communication and inspiration as two key leadership traits. Servant leadership refers to the understanding of a leader that achievements require a leader to be a servant, not a commander. The leader must then inspire employees and the community to consolidate efforts as servants dedicated to the set goal (Jones-Burbridge, 2012). Communication is the ability to share one’s ideas or provide directions and listen to the ideas and feedback of the team. Building communication channels prevents leaders from becoming autocratic and isolated. Otherwise, a leader may interfere with employee productivity. A leader must inspire his team to achieve better results. For a leader, it is important develop two vital skills that are empathy and emotional intelligence. These two skills relate to handling employee behavior and reactions. A leader must be able to show understanding of employees’ behavior and be intelligent to handle emotional conflicts. Great communication in public service opens up information sharing in the spheres of community needs, challenges, and threats such as insecurity. A leader can then inspire the team to solve the challenges by ensuring resources, moral support, and appraisals.
- Personal and academic experience provide reference for a leader to base decisions and evaluate risks. Academic knowledge in public service ad criminal law is critical for evaluating community’s security challenges such as drug abuse, racial discrimination, gender violence and such factors as unemployment. Academic experience also enables understanding of criminal patterns, behaviors, and resource allocation to neutralize the threats. Personal experience enables understanding of the history of the challenge tested solutions and external threats that might occur. Leadership involves the management of skills, individuals, and resources in order to achieve a common goal. Therefore, academic skills guide a leader towards equitable resource distribution in public services.
Such public services as security management, drug-related behavior and gender violence require cooperation of all stakeholders. In community security, stakeholders include enforcement agencies, community members and the private sector. The biggest task is, for this reason, coordination of the diverse interests and behaviors of these groups. Great communication is a vital tool to capture all needs, ideas and behaviors. The leader must inspire diverse interests towards a common beneficial cause, such as improved security. Through communication and shared vision a leader can built a long-lasting relationship motivated by a common cause.
A leader in public service must possess several of attributes ethical behavior that include fairness, honesty, discipline, trustworthiness and empathy. A leader is a role model for the followers who must display a high moral and ethical standing. A leader must be fair to all employees and followers offering them equal chances such as promotions, resources allocation, and platforms to contribute ideas. Personal emotional reactions and social relations of an effective leader should reflect positively in the public limelight. In order to manage people from diverse backgrounds, a leader must connect with the followers at a personal level and understand their challenges.
- The leadership environment of the 21st century is changing rapidly due to the development of such factors as education, technology, and external skills sourcing (Hopen, 2012). Leaders manage followers from diverse cultures and backgrounds with various skills, experiences, and behaviors. Diversity in public service offers a wide range of ideas and solutions to any challenge (Broughton & Strebler, 2008). For example, evaluating drugs challenge in the African American community is simpler for enforcement officers from the community. The officers have personal experiences and knowledge of factors leading to the development of such vices as poverty, racial isolation and discriminative sharing of public resources. Inclusion is of equal importance in the field of public service, because it allows multiple creative ideas to be heard. A leader ought to demonstrate fairness and empathy while assisting the community and still follow the law.
- Academic and personal experiences shape the decisions and leadership style of a leader. An effective public leader employs the servant leadership model. Public service leadership identifies the public as a customer and the organization as the service provider, whose sole responsibility is customer satisfaction. Criminal justice leaders have to deal with evolving crimes, public demands, budget cuts and personnel issues (Jones-Burbridge, 2012). In order to promote my development as an effective leader, it is necessary to employ a servant leadership model to empower all stakeholders rather than to tell them what to do in every situation. As a servant leader, my responsibility is to be effective and successful, as the goal is installed in my team requiring less supervision and control.
- Multiple new concept from this course and research have benefitted my development as an effective leader. First of all, public service leadership is effective when the leader accepts a servant leadership model. The leader inspires the followers to be servants to the public needs and motivates them to achieve them. Public service also requires the inclusion of all stakeholders in the management of public security. A public service leader in the criminal justice system must understand that the society holds all solutions to public threats and challenges such as drugs and violence.